Jeff Bezos, founder of Amazon and Blue Origin, decided to invest in a new endeavor: the quest for immortality. The billionaire began assembling a team of top scientists for his new startup, Altos Labs, which aims to prevent aging.
- Study discovers how to rejuvenate muscles in elderly rodents
- New technique can rejuvenate cells and make elderly more resistant to COVID
Among the names that are already confirmed as part of the team are two Nobel Prize winners. Shinya Yamanaka was awarded in 2012 in the field of medicine for her work with stem cells and Jennifer Doudna, awarded in 2020 in chemistry for her work with the gene editing tool CRISPR.
To lead this renowned team, Bezos has enlisted Hal Barron, former chief scientific officer at pharmaceuticals GlaxoSmithKline, and will now serve as CEO with a mission to “reverse disease”.
Follow us on Instagram: follow us behind the scenes, talk to our team, ask your questions and learn first-hand about the news to come at Canaltech.
There will be no shortage of resources for Altos Labs during the first years of operation. Right off the bat, the startup has already secured $3 billion in investments that come not only from Bezos, but also from other billionaires, such as Russian Yuri Milner.
During the initial phase, efforts will be directed to a specific area: biological reprogramming, which aims to rejuvenate cells that have already aged. In practice, if the proposal works, diseases associated with old age, such as dementia, could be reversed. However, there is no guarantee that the high stakes will pay off over time.
Anyway, the search for youth is a growing trend. In addition to Calico, founded in 2013 by Larry Page, co-creator of Google, other startups in this hunt are Life Biosciences, Turn Biotechnologies, AgeX Therapeutics and the British Shift Bioscience. So far, however, no results.
Read the article on Canaltech.
Trending on Canaltech:
- Rapid Covid Test: Learn to Avoid False Negatives
- Giro da Saúde: peak transmission of Ômicron; mild post-covid mental fog; and +
- The sky is not the limit | Asteroid nearby, Earth's core cooling and more
- Tesla asks for a license to sell something that has nothing to do with a car
- The 10 most watched series of the week (23/01/2022)